Sunday, October 23, 2016

The insanity of the past few weeks. Deep breathing.

Ok, so looking back on the past while (since I last posted) it is clear that life has been a bit much of late, and things need to chill out.

First. My mom ended up in hospital with hypertension and atrial fibrillation. Naturally, I and my sibling freaked out a fair amount until we were told that it's not necessarily the biggest deal - your heart beating out of sync is apparently a manageable condition. So that happened. We are all attempting to be healthier humans and I'll keep you posted on how that is going.

What happened after that? Oh yeah, a couple weeks ago, I ended up in the hospital too. Our family is getting well-acquainted with these places now. You see, when we do things we generally have a motto of go hard or go home. This was no different. My ailment, we had thought to be allergies (pretty chilled right, take some antihistamines and you're fine) were not allergies this time. When my chest got crazy tight unlike ever before and I woke up with the worst headache I've ever had, we figured that getting a doctor's opinion may be a good idea. And the next thing we knew, I was in a hospital bed getting tests done.

In this process, there had been a few misconceptions on my part. I was somewhat convinced that I had Meningitis or something like that but turns out I had a crazy drug-resistant infection. This was not part of my plan. I was also under the impression that I would be there overnight/two days max, but with this too, I was mistaken. Five days later I was discharged and so, I had to find something to fill my days with because hospitals have pretty limited entertainment options. I think I caught up on 4 years of sleep deprivation, so I guess that's a perk. Hospitals are also phenomenal places of undignified dignity.

I had a few good peeps visit me to alleviate some of my boredom. Thanks Stiney for the flowers, and props to Handke for sneaking in the cheesecake! You made my day. I think our conversations may have been a bit too loud/too energetic...hospital noise standards = hushed tones. Oops. Sorry not sorry.

That was kind of void when you have a 90-year-old roommate with dementia. All I'll say is that he had some interesting conversations.

After getting out of the hospital, I had to take it a little bit slower (granted, this is 'Chaeli slow') just because antibiotics (three different types to try and kill this bug I had somehow acquired) tends to take their toll.

Then we get to last weekend, where I (without being on antibiotics) participated with Devon Coetzee in the 2016 Gun Run, and it was AWESOME! Got my PB - 2:10 - and it's always an epic event and I love how inclusive it is. Two wrists up for the organisers :) I did sleep for the majority of the day thereafter - I think I've rekindled my love affair with sleep quite sufficiently now.

In the last week, I finished my Honours degree in Social Policy & Management and it was crazy in the end, but I'm super excited about! I now need to keep myself occupied until next year when I get in at the deep end that is a Masters...I'll be helping out at The Chaeli Campaign though so there is plenty for me to do.

I'm hopeful that things will calm down to a manic pace, and that hospital visits do not become a norm for us. Only time will tell...


Kbye.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment