Friday, March 4, 2011

Patience is a virtue.

I know that I haven't written an entry in a while...things have been so busy since my last blog entry.

I'm now in Grade 11. People tell you about how much more work it is. I didn't believe them. Listen, people, you should listen to those people when they tell you stuff like that so you can prepare properly.

Anyway, to get you up to speed on what's happening in my life.

A lot of interesting things are in the pipeline. I'll tell you guys about a couple of them.

Firstly, last year I applied for a service dog - quite the mission to find the right people, but once you find those people it's all good. So, I applied in September 2010 and in February this year, I had an interview with one of the trainers to see if my having a service dog is a good thing. I got accepted for the programme.

And now, we wait. They say it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years for them to find the right dog for me.

Exciting...

The second thing happening is that I applied to go on Rotary Exchange. The committee has to discuss it and then decide if I'm right for the programme.

If I get accepted, I'll be one of the few disabled people from South Africa to go on exchange. I guess it's a trend with disabled people: very few people have experiences well-worth having when there are so many disabled people out there. Quite ironic, I think.

And again, we wait...

I think that's one of the things that come with the territory of being differently abled. Playing the waiting game. We have to wait for everything. Opportunities, failures, other people, even ourselves.

But I think the best thing I've gained from my disability is most probably...patience. I have to have patience with myself because, let's face it, stuff takes a little longer. I have to have patience with other people, because they take time to get on your side.

I hope that you all have patience with yourselves and each other. And as the saying goes, "patience is a virtue", so make it one of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment