Thursday, June 30, 2011

Yes, I am an Exchange Student

A couple of entries ago, I told you guys about my application to be an exchange student. We heard at the beginning of the year that I got accepted. So, I'm the first disabled person in this district zone to apply and be accepted. How awesome?

It is quite the process, I must tell you. Especially, as a disabled person. The crucial thing is finding a host family. You need to understand that, in my case, it's not just a home for me. It's a home for a disabled person (which means it would have to be an accessible home), and it's also a home for another person (my caregiver, Olwethu, who works as a community worker at The Chaeli Campaign). In my opinion, it's Olwethu who would be the one people should be worried about.

But that's not the point.

When I got accepted we decided that London would be a good place to go. This is purely because of my being disabled, and the transport system is really good in terms of accessibility in London. It would suck if I go to a country for six weeks and I can't get around anywhere.

We have been trying to find a home for us for months now, and it's just not happening. We started getting a little despondent about the whole situation. Then, I got an email from Jana - from Newlands Rotary Club - saying that London wasn't really coming together, but how do we feel about Scotland?

We were super excited, but also a little confused. We had just got the idea of "London" into our brains and now we had to change our brains to "Scotland". If you look at it, they are both in the same general geographical area, so it's not such a big deal.

Yesterday I went to Home Affairs - watched a guy get angry (I swear, I thought he was going to jump over the counter and smack someone - and I got my Passport, after waiting for about an hour.

Note to all: If you're planning to go to Home Affairs, don't plan anything else for that day. All that will accomplish is you getting frustrated and you'll end up cancelling or postponing your meeting anyway.

So, now we just have to get a departure date and visas and then we are good to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment